aussieskyhawktales.org
October 25, 2014, 05:17:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does the Royal Australian Navy need a flat top Aircraft Carrier?
Yes - 3 (60%)
No - 0 (0%)
It couldn't hurt - 2 (40%)
I don't care either way - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aircraft Carriers and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN)  (Read 4952 times)
Aussie Skyhawk Tales
Administrator
Senior Sailor

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »

Since the aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne was decommissioned, there had been a lot of talk about a replacement flat top, mostly from the die-hard flat toppers I suspect. However, the discussion had been renewed in recent times when a 'wish list' for the Navy was published.
Unfortunately, the wish list highlighted the need for additional helicopter deployment capability and indicated 2 helicopter carriers fitted with a ski jump would do the trick. The thing was, there was no provision to install the radar required that would allow the helicopter carriers to fly fixed wing aircraft.

What do you think - Does the Navy need a real flat top?
Slinger
Sailor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »

The new Hobart DDGs can provide all necessary radar out to 150nm as per spec, but they'd need to stream in a new generation of fighter controllers. Can't imagine the LHDs going far without one of the DDGs nearby.
SpazSinbad
Pilot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »

Being an argumentitive batard I started a thread here: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-12631.html just for the heck of it, not knowing anything at all really about this JSF-B/F-35B issue for our new LHDs. In the process of understanding some necessary things about ski-jumps and 'bedford arrays' I found out a lot of useful information (to me anyway) but I can't really say much else. Probably a third 'specially outfitted' LHD would be required to run 'DAVE' (RN slang term for JSF-B) while perhaps the first two LHDs could be spare decks in a pinch.

I reckon once the two LHDs are in RAN service 'the penny will drop', the 'running landings' might be possible perhaps on an LHD but not required. Anyway I see a squadron or two of F-35Bs useful for the RAAF and if they could be operated temporarily from an LHD then that is a good thing (much like the ARMY attempt to opoerate their helos from whatever flat decks available). I've been out too long to know/say much more than that but I'll be informing myself about this issue via the internet for sure. It is great to see the RN FAA getting ahead of what might be required to operate their JSF from new CVFs, testing the 'Bedford Array' while they will cooperate with USMC on ski jump testing and the like. Go RNers!  Grin

"Bedford Array" info (new landing aid for 'rolling landings' or SRVL) starts around here: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-12631-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-210.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:50:54 AM by SpazSinbad » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: